Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0122 TPS GM 4.3 / [FIXED!!]

More
7 years 9 months ago #803 by Tyler
YAY :woohoo: Not sarcasm, I'm genuinely smiling right now B)

No hand holding took place, as far as I'm concerned! I just appreciate having someone that will work WITH us, instead of ask for silver bullets. Also, whack-a-mole? Perfect description, lol. Pretty well sums up my Friday, fixing Dodge trailer wiring.

So, though this whole thing, I'm still wondering how this van ran at all with the 5V reference shorted? And if there are multiple 5V regulators, then why didn't it set a 5V circuit code? I'm ready to let it go at this point, just wish I had a better explanation...

I'll have a beer in honor of this van later tonight ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 9 months ago #819 by Noah

Again, wish I could buy you guys a beer for all the help and hand holding. I appreciate it!

Steve

:huh: hand holding? :huh:
Must have missed that part. Good work Steve. Glad you were able to get it sorted out, it's always nice when we can close these with a fix! Would you consider adding FIXED to the title of the post? Not necessary, just kind of helps keep things categorized. In my opinion any way.

No hand holding took place, as far as I'm concerned! I just appreciate having someone that will work WITH us, instead of ask for silver bullets.

Truth right there!

So, though this whole thing, I'm still wondering how this van ran at all with the 5V reference shorted? And if there are multiple 5V regulators, then why didn't it set a 5V circuit code?

That's been bugging me the whole time too.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #849 by Westfalia
I updated the title Noah. By hand holding, I meant by step by step guidance.

So I went to the to the junkyard and found two or 3 modules. Came back, and soldered up the cut 5v wires and put all the harness covers back over the destroyed loom. Tidies up all the loose wiring and took one of the modules and slid it into its home. I turned the key on and everything came back to normal. The fuel gauge started working as it should. Cranked it over and it sprang to life and settled to a smooth idle. No TPS code. :woohoo: As far as why it ran with low ref. voltage, I haven't a clue. Maybe this is a question for the Danner... He seems absent here. I'm not a premium member, and that might be a prereq for his interaction??

I have to say I'm a bit proud in fixing this, as I've never dug into a car this far in my life. Haha. My wife still thinks I should buy something reliable, and I agree. Time for a Toyota Tacoma or something. At least I can sell it confident in that it is running good. Get a small bit of cash for it too. Better than having to give/throw it away.

Again, I could not have done this without both your help. Much gratitude.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Westfalia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 9 months ago #850 by Noah
Excellent work! Thanks for updating the title BTW.

Maybe this is a question for the Danner... He seems absent here. I'm not a premium member, and that might be a prereq for his interaction??

No, it has nothing to do with that. He's just got a lot of stuff taking up his attention. Stick around a while, he weighs in on repair questions pretty frequently.

Great job again, you should give yourself more credit. Silly as it sounds, some people refuse to benefit from having a hand held.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 9 months ago #875 by Inge Jeppesen
Have you tried disconnecting your battery ground and measured resistance to ground on your 5 volt ref wire. I think they are all linked together on a bus inside the pcm.

Let us know.

More
7 years 9 months ago #880 by Inge Jeppesen
Just realized this was a multiple page tread.
Answered to quickly.

Glad it is fixed :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #889 by ScannerDanner

Noah wrote: Excellent work! Thanks for updating the title BTW.

Maybe this is a question for the Danner... He seems absent here. I'm not a premium member, and that might be a prereq for his interaction??

No, it has nothing to do with that. He's just got a lot of stuff taking up his attention. Stick around a while, he weighs in on repair questions pretty frequently.

Great job again, you should give yourself more credit. Silly as it sounds, some people refuse to benefit from having a hand held.

I'm sorry my friend. Noah is right, it has nothing to do with that. I'm just stretched pretty thin. I'm trying to keep up, just not having much success in that right now. I'll try to be here more often.
Nice job on the fix my friend! And thank you guys for helping! Can't thank you enough.
Now I need to go back through this and see what you did :-)

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 9 months ago #901 by Westfalia
I'll do that. Thanks.
One last comment on Paul. I was so impressed with his instruction style and thoroughness in diagnosing when I first ran across his videos. Having been a technical instructor (Television production) at the community college level in a former career, I understand how difficult communicating sometimes complex subjects to students(who aren't always fully "there") is. He is incredibly detailed and consistently systematic in his method. Something I can now understand is critical in finding solutions to these problems.

BTW what Paul does is waaay more complex than TV production...haha. It just reinforces to me how important technical schools are to our society. Someone actually has to get their hands dirty, even in this new "clean" auto enviroment we are heading towards.

Talk soon.

s.

More
7 years 9 months ago #917 by Tyler

Westfalia wrote: I updated the title Noah. By hand holding, I meant by step by step guidance.

So I went to the to the junkyard and found two or 3 modules. Came back, and soldered up the cut 5v wires and put all the harness covers back over the destroyed loom. Tidies up all the loose wiring and took one of the modules and slid it into its home. I turned the key on and everything came back to normal. The fuel gauge started working as it should. Cranked it over and it sprang to life and settled to a smooth idle. No TPS code. :woohoo: As far as why it ran with low ref. voltage, I haven't a clue. Maybe this is a question for the Danner... He seems absent here. I'm not a premium member, and that might be a prereq for his interaction??

I have to say I'm a bit proud in fixing this, as I've never dug into a car this far in my life. Haha. My wife still thinks I should buy something reliable, and I agree. Time for a Toyota Tacoma or something. At least I can sell it confident in that it is running good. Get a small bit of cash for it too. Better than having to give/throw it away.

Again, I could not have done this without both your help. Much gratitude.

You should be proud, sir! Honestly, I know tons of parts changers that would have installed a dozen TPS's and a couple VCM's before giving up.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds