Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

F150 No code intermittent misfire issues

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64833 by 52Tele
First post here so I appreciate anyone's time and experience. I have a 2015 Ford F150 with the 5.0 motor. A while back I started noticing decreased fuel efficiency and when I finally hooked up a scanner I noticed some misfires in mode 6 data but not enough to set a DTC. The majority of these misfires have been on bank 2 and normally the cylinder with the most is cylinder 6. When I first noticed this I still had factory plugs and was around 126,000 miles. I figured that was a fairly long life on the factory plugs so I replaced them with the motorcraft recommended replacement. After that I didn't see very much improvement so I cleared KAM and saw a little improvement but then it slowly worked its way back to unfavorable fuel trims and the same bank 2 misfires. I noticed what I thought to be eratic/unreliable upstream o2 sensor data so I replaced both upstream sensors with NTK brand sensors and again very little if any improvement. There are quite a few other things I have checked and done to try and diagnose this but didn't want my first post to be even longer.

Thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64834 by bills4065
What are your total fuel trims? It is the sum of the st and lt of each bank. Those upstream you replaced - are they the recommended replacements from Ford?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64835 by 52Tele
Fuel trims are sorta all over the place depending on if it is at idle, deceleration, or under throttle. The upstream sensors are not Motorcraft but from what I found online NTK makes the sensors for Motorcraft.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64836 by bills4065
Total trim numbers at idle and 3500 rpm will give you some direction. Had any work been done on truck before you started having issues?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64839 by 52Tele
No I can't think of anything. One thing that is concerning me is when I watch intake and exhaust camshaft shaft data. The data pid is showing differences between actual and commanded degrees.

I replaced air filter, pcv valve, and purge valve on throttle body when I changed spark plugs. Purge valve was leaking by and pcv valve would still rattle but could tell it was dirty. A while after that I swapped ignition coils from one bank to the other to see if the issue followed but it didn't. I have since then replaced all ignition coils. I transferred cylinder 6 fuel injector to the other bank and so far have not seen data that suggests it definitely is fuel injectors but they do make me wonder if they could be an issue. Before the swap I listened with a mechanic’s stethoscope and at that time all injectors seemed to be pulsing in a similar way but I didn’t have anyone at the time to snap throttle or hold rpm at certain levels. I've done scan tool based relative compression tests that have been fine. I've checked for vacuum leaks with a Guage as well as water and carb cleaner.

Another weird thing I've noticed is when I reset the keep alive memory it seems to do great until it starts relearning.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64841 by Tyler

One thing that is concerning me is when I watch intake and exhaust camshaft shaft data. The data pid is showing differences between actual and commanded degrees.

How much difference are you seeing?

Brief differences when the commanded position changes aren't unusual. They'll usually show up as little 'blips' when graphing the difference PIDs.

Steady difference of a degree or more might suggest an issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #64848 by Noah
Just to clarify the original complaint, this is all in the pursuit of finding the cause of reduced fuel economy, correct?
There are no misfires or performance issues that you experienced which lead you to look at mode 06, you just noticed counts on individual cylinders while you were looking for the cause of lower than average miles per gallon?
Also, you still haven't answered Bills4065 repeated questions about the fuel trims.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Noah.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64850 by 52Tele
Started as reduced fuel mileage and then noticed what felt like misfires around 1400-1500 rpm in park or neutral and then also under power braking

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64851 by 52Tele
Sorry for waiting on the response I wanted to be back in my truck to confirm. Currently at idle
Short term bank 1 fluctuates between -2.34 to 3.12
long term bank 1 is 3.9
Short term bank 2 fluctuates between -.78 to 3.12
Long term bank 2 is 6.25

That is currently at idle I have had worse and better numbers than that other times at idle.
I can get the 3500 rpm readings a bit later.
Thanks again

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64852 by 52Tele
As I was typing that last message I had Short term bank 1 dip to -7.4 and slowly rise back to 0
And Short term bank 2 dip to -5.6 and slowly rise back.

That's what I meant by sorta all over the place.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64853 by 52Tele
As far as how much difference on intake both show a steady range of -.12 to .18. That's at idle under other conditions it becomes worse.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64854 by 52Tele
Just another update as I was sitting at a red-light both banks short term dipped to -28.75 and then quickly improved.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64855 by 52Tele
Wow thanks for mentioning to check them at 3500 rpm.
On the recording from my scan tool I paused at 3469 rpm.
I'm getting bank 1
long term at 7.03
Short term 10.15
Bank 2
long term 8.59
Short term 31.25

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64856 by bills4065
Did you do a fuel pressure test on your truck? I just did not see it mentioned or I missed it. Thanks

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64857 by 52Tele
I have not done a fuel pressure test yet.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64858 by bills4065
Fuel pump pressure would be my next step. give it some good snaps and watch pressure.it should not drop.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64863 by 52Tele
Wouldn't fuel pump pressure affect both banks?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64865 by bills4065
Yes indeed it would. Bank 1 is running 17.18% lean and Bank 2 is 39.84 % lean. The trim numbers you gave us are positive meaning you are running lean on both banks. Bank 2 is running much leaner than Bank 1.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64870 by 52Tele
Could that also be because that part of the fuel table hasn't learned since my previous KAM reset?
So just curious how will the fuel pressure test help if both banks are not affected the same? Would that not lead to it more likely being bad fuel injectors since it's at higher rpm?
Again these are just questions I'm curious about because I'm trying to learn more and better my diagnostic skills.
Thanks

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #64872 by 52Tele
I think I see partly where I was mistaken. I was subtracting the long and short term but I should have only done that if one of the reading was negative correct?

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds