Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

ECU RELAY LOCATION

More
4 years 2 months ago #39070 by angelcoamo44
HI......I can not find the ecu relay on a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero....I looked already where it was supposed to be (above the ecu) on the upper right side of the dashboard on the passenger side but i do not see it.... please help...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #39075 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic ECU RELAY LOCATION
Follow the blue wire with green tracer from the ECU. If you still can't find it then ground the blue wire with green trace at the ECU. You might get the relay to sing, assuming the power at the fuse is good.

But why are you looking for the relay when you can do your relay tests at the ECU? For example, if you ground that blue/green wire, the fuel injectors will get voltage at all 6 injectors. Injector #1 control is on pin #1 of the ECU. So when you ground the blue/green wire, you should hear the relay click and get power at pin #1 of ECU yellow/blue wire. So you've essentially did an ohm check of half of this relay with this one test. But can it carry a load? That one you must do at the injector feed with a test light of sufficient amperage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcoamo44

More
4 years 2 months ago #39095 by angelcoamo44
Replied by angelcoamo44 on topic ECU RELAY LOCATION
Thanks for the information JReardon....I appreciate it very much.....The reason that i am looking for the ecu relay location is to find if the ecu is working and is not damage....Before i find out about this forum i did a test to my mitsubishi montero..By that time it had spark....The test was to find out if the fuel pump was working....i connected a cable between the fuel pump check connector (located in the engine bay) and the positive side of the battery....After that there was no spark...I think that i damage the ecu relay ....and that is the reason why i am looking for the ecu relay location so i can replace it and see if i can get a spark on the ignition......all the help and information to solve this problem will be highly appreciated....thanks again

More
4 years 2 months ago #39097 by angelcoamo44
Thanks a lot Jreardon for the information.... Can you send me this diagrams to my email so i can print them.....??........amsr5440@yahoo.com

More
4 years 2 months ago #39099 by jreardon
LS or SR? 3.0L or 3.5L? Federal or California emissions?

More
4 years 2 months ago #39100 by angelcoamo44
It is a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0 L .......and i think is Federal

More
4 years 2 months ago #39102 by jreardon

angelcoamo44 wrote: It is a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0 L .......and i think is Federal

File Attachment:

File Name: 1996Mitsub...eral.pdf
File Size:342 KB
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #39107 by angelcoamo44
Thanks for the diagrams.....but the Mitsubishi Montero has a distributor ignition type....and is a 12 valves engine....and the diagrams that you sent me are for a 24 valves engine and 3 coil packs ignition type....

More
4 years 2 months ago #39109 by jreardon

angelcoamo44 wrote: Thanks for the diagrams.....but the Mitsubishi Montero has a distributor ignition type....and is a 12 valves engine....and the diagrams that you sent me are for a 24 valves engine and 3 coil packs ignition type....

Whoopsie. here you go

File Attachment:

File Name: Mitsubishi...1996.pdf
File Size:212 KB
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #39112 by jreardon

angelcoamo44 wrote: i connected a cable between the fuel pump check connector (located in the engine bay) and the positive side of the battery....After that there was no spark...I think that i damage the ecu relay ....

What color was the wire attached to that fuel pump check connector? You sure you didn't put voltage down the Ignition timing adjustment connector (white/yellow wire)?

edit: I don't think that would harm the computer. That ignition timing adjustment connector is a pull down switch input.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by jreardon.

More
4 years 2 months ago #39113 by angelcoamo44
i am not quite sure.....but i believe that i did not use the orange color connector......What is the damage if i put voltage on this orange connector...???

More
4 years 2 months ago #39114 by angelcoamo44
thanks so much for the diagrams........Highly appreciate it...

More
4 years 2 months ago #39116 by angelcoamo44
i believe that i use the fuel pump check connector (gray color)......What damage can cause if battery voltage is applied to the ignition adjustment connector...???

More
4 years 2 months ago #39117 by jreardon
It's meant to be grounded, which means it has voltage on there to begin with. Pull down switch input. When battery voltage meets battery voltage nothing happens. I think you're fine.

More
4 years 2 months ago #39119 by angelcoamo44
Thanks for the information and the diagrams....I hope i did not damage the ecu....I am curious why the diagrams do not show the camshaft location...I wonder if this vehicle has a camshaft position sensor....there are only 3 cables coming out from the distributor housing....

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds