Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Ford Ranger 3.0 Rough Idle with Codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0316, and P0174

More
1 month 1 week ago #65071 by ckraze
Actually, after re-reading the data, what you have are bank 1 and bank 2 long and short term fuel trim readings. Not sure on what you need. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65072 by bills4065
The next thing to do is check the long term and short term fuel trims at 2500 and 3500 rpm. This way we can confirm if we are indeed dealing with a vacuum leak. If bank 2 does indeed have a vacuum leak that 15% should drop to within limits at higher rpm. A good cheap little scanner is the Foxwell NT201. Around 80 dollars here in Canada where I live.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65073 by ckraze
I will go get them now but it will be a bit as the truck is at a different location at the moment. Thanks again for the assist.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65074 by ckraze
Got the numbers for 2500 rpm.  Can't get 3500 as the truck's govenor kicks in around 2800ish and truck rpm's surge.

Two files.  One with the engine right after start up.  No CEL.  Second once truck is warmed up and CEL is on and flashing.

Of note is that towards the end of the warmed up data the truck did the "click" thing and started running normally.  It's not an audible click, just the way I describe it.  It's like a switch is thrown and the truck immediately starts running fine.  CEL stays on because codes are stored but it stops flashing and if I clear it while the truck is running fine then re-do the scan, FIXD says "No issues detected" and CEL stays off.

If after it "clicks" I come to a stop for anything more than a few seconds the CEL will start flashing again and then the engine will begin to misfire, sometimes a little and sometimes enough to shake the truck.   If I accelerate with it misfiring it will sometimes take off (no often) but usually it just shakes and goes about 5-10 mph until it "clicks" and then it takes off.    

p.s.  I bought a truck yesterday so I will be unavailable from early morning until late tomorrow evening (truck is in NC and I'm in VA). 

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

More
1 month 1 week ago #65075 by ontheriver
The click could be a valve hanging up? You could try some marvel mystery oil in the motor, maybe it will clean the valve guide

More
1 month 1 week ago #65077 by ckraze
Thanks for the reply. I misused the word click. There is no sound or noise at all. It's like a switch somewhere was flipped and the truck just runs normally.

Heads were replaced about 30k ago so no valve train issues.

Pretty sure it's narrowed down to vacuum leak or fuel delivery but can't seem to find anything wrong with either.

The outlier might be a sensor that is confusing the ECM but???

More
1 month 1 week ago #65078 by ontheriver
What about the alternator? Is voltage dropping too much before it responds?

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #65081 by bills4065
Your description of everything - I still think you are dealing with a vacuum leak.At idle, spray propane around the intake and all vacuum hoses and listen for rpm changes.Monitor stft for both banks- it will go negative if you find the leak. Why I say vacuum leak your LTFT on bank 2 drops to below 10 and your truck starts to run fine.Also on your first graph you were at positive 15 on bank 2 at idle. Thanks for the good description.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by bills4065.

More
1 month 2 days ago #65181 by ckraze
Sorry for the break in communications. Kidney surgery - don't recommend it.

Smoke machine showed small leak around IAC bolts. RTV didn't seal it so bought the gasket that should come with the new IAC's but didn't.

Smoke machine tonight showed no leaks around IAC but a good amount of smoke coming from under the driver's side of the engine, below the exhaust manifold and somewhere near the starter wire.

I can't seem to see where it's coming from specifically and not sure what vacuum line would be running that far down the block.

As always, any ideas would be appreciated. I can't seem to find a pictorial view of vacuum lines in that area.

More
1 month 2 days ago #65184 by bills4065
smoke on driver side and truck misfires at idle and bank 2 lean at idle, which is driver side. sucking in extra air before upstream O2 sensor but- how is it sealing itself once you reach certain speed??

More
1 month 2 days ago #65185 by bills4065
Loose or bad gasket, small pin hole in # 2 bank exhaust manifold? Sounds crazy but air getting in there before upstream sensor would throw trims off at idle.

More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #65188 by bills4065
If nothing obvious around bank 2 exhaust manifold and that upstream sensor -I would try spraying soapy water around entire manifold and sensor. Truck running at idle of course. Thanks.
Last edit: 1 month 2 days ago by bills4065. Reason: forgot some info.

More
1 week 3 days ago #65457 by bills4065
Hey Robert- did you ever find the problem with this? Just curious. Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds