Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Why use OEM sensors over aftermarket

More
7 years 9 months ago #796 by GeorG
2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0 with a stall complaint and a check engine light on, after scanning it, code P0335 CKP circuit is found. Customer says he had it changed not long ago, not only that, they also replaced the wiring from the ECM to the CKP trying to address this code.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #797 by GeorG
I scoped the CKP and CMP's , and other than the bank 1 and 2 CMP's Mirroring each other, everything looks ok (producing signals), but knowing these sensors like to fail when hot I left the truck running while I did something else, and after maybe 40 minutes the truck stalled. I then cranked it and it took long to start and I noticed the CKP was not there.

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #799 by GeorG
If the shop that worked on it earlier would have been more patient, they would have caught the real problem instead of re wiring the CKP wiring all the way to the ECM.

I do have a concern tough, like I mentioned earlier, both cams mirror each other but the truck runs good, anybody have experienced something like that, or will it come back and bite me in the but :ohmy:

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #801 by Tyler
Hey GeorG! So you'll be recommending an OEM crank sensor on this one, then? Some techs still haven't figured out that NEW doesn't mean good, lol.

Great job catching the CMP signals mirroring each other. Did some digging, found this on iATN:

It's listed for an '06 Xterra, but it's the same 4.0L engine. The signals definitely DON'T mirror one another. They look like they're the same overall pattern, just timed 360 crankshaft degrees apart.

So, given that these other goobers were in here rewiring stuff, I'm wondering if they wired one CMP signal into the other trying to fix something. Unless this is just a scope connection problem, then I'd say the PCM is gonna figure this out pretty quickly once you get the CKP installed, set codes, and disable the VVT.

Very interested to see where this one goes!
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Tyler.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 9 months ago #820 by Noah
Pretty cool the way the CKP just stops generating signal all together, no glitching, no warning, just DONE!
I'm also curious to see if the ECM has any complaints about the perfectly synchronised cam signals, especially after seeing the waveform Tyler posted.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds