Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P code 0340

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #40301 by GTinTX
P code 0340 was created by GTinTX
Recently purchased 96 Toyota Celica GT 2.2L 4 cyl M/T. Kinda like the video I stumbled onto where ScannerDanner was teaching his son how to diagnose a no start.
I bought it from a friend and with all the time and parts he's poured into it I could pass it up. A car that runs and drives for $500. I'd say that's a steal especially with the shape it's in.
Anyway back to my original issue at hand. It's kinda running a touch rough. Not firing perfectly and this is a rebuilt engine, along with too many parts to list on the car and engine that are new. One actually being the distributor. As you may know the code says "DTC PO34O Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction" and I know first hand that the distributor itself has been replaced. If you're not aware on this partictular engine the sensor is located in the distributor so that's one reason it was replaced. An AutoZone part and not an aftermarket part. Part #ADLG-TY49. So I'm going to start there and get them to warranty it with a new replacement. Then go down the list of other possible troubleshooting. 4 main things it says to check. 1. Open or short in camshaft position sensor circuit. So that to me is check plug and wiring. Looks ok visually. 2. Camshaft position sensor. That says to me replace sensor which is the distributor itself. 3. Starter. Not sure what part this plays but it never has an issue starting. 4. ECM. I've found replacement ECM's on ebay that are used. Wouldn't it be doing some other odd things if the ECM was to blame?
So this is where I'm at. Need some direction and anyone with personal experience on this engine would be a plus! 5S-FE I believe is the engine code. Also used in Camry's around the same years. Always open to any and all suggestions, comments, and feedback. Thanks for your time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds