Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan No crank

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39973 by Pascal182
Hi guys! I have a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan and it’s not cranking. All the lights in the dash act normally but when I try to start the van, nothing happens. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I swapped the starter relay with one I know for sure it’s working and still nothing. I checked on the “control” side of the relay, I have the 12V on one end all the time(PIN 85) and 12V on the other end when I try to crank the engine (PIN 86). On the “output” side of the relay, I have also have 12V on one end on the relay all the time (PIN 30) but no 12V at the starter when I try to crank it. I did a continuity test on the wire between the starter and the TIPM (Fuse box) and my multimeter is beeping like there’s continuity. Now, I’m out of ideas what could be the problem. Could it be the TIPM ? I’m not really able to test the voltage directly underneath the TIPM since there’s no room to check it without having to disconnect all the plugs.

BTW I already changed the battery and the starter. Also, there's no DTC.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Pascal182.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39976 by juergen.scholl
You should have close to 0 volts on one side of the control circuit (pin 86) with the key in start position. The relay coil is supposed to drop the 12 volts when the control circuit is grounded.

The relay could not be grounded for a variety of reasons.....If you got a scanner check for any codes, ASD relay, have a look at the PRNDL (park neutral switch) , you might want to move the shifter to neutral and try starting if you have not tried this already.

To check wether its only a relay/relay control problem put the car into park , engage the parking brake, pull the relay and open the switch to run. Then jump terminals 87 and 30 of the relay socket in the tipm. The starter should engange and the engine crank. If the engine starts disconnect your jumper wire. Disconnect it as well if the engie does not start after max 10 seconds.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by juergen.scholl.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39982 by Pascal182
Thanks for the advice ! So I should check the voltage between the pin 86 and the ground when I start the car ? I already tried to start in neutral but nothing happens still.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39985 by juergen.scholl
Yes, during cranking you should maintain proper voltage on one side of the relay coil's control circuit and the other side should fall to ground voltage.

Did you jumper pins 30 and 87? If so, what's the outcome?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39986 by Pascal182
I will test it later today and keep you posted.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39992 by Pascal182
Problem solved ! It was the starter relay that was loose into the TIPM. I reseat the prongs correctly and the van started right away. If the problem occurs again, I will probably need to changed the TIPM but for now it's working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds