Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 F150, 5.0L P0019 and P032 codes.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39816 by 70monte
My fiancée's son owns this truck and is out of town for work. His truck started running rough, was misfiring, and has no power. Truck has 195,000 miles on it. About 5,000 miles ago he had four new Motorcraft cam phasers installed with aftermarket chains and guides. No problems after the repair until now.

Can anyone tell me where Bank 2 sensor B is on this engine? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I found out that the B sensor is the exhaust sensor but don't know which one that is as well as I don't know which side is bank 2 on this engine. I assume these are the sensors on top of the valve covers on each side close to the front of the engine?

I'm wondering if the aftermarket parts used are causing an issue? Plugs are original and he plans on replacing them after he gets home since they are over due but I don't think that is causing his issues.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39818 by VegasJAK
Bank 2 is on the driver side of engine. P0019 is a cam to crank timing issue with the cam position sensor or timing chain. Sensor is at the front outer side of the engine attached to the head just below valve cover.

To rule out the sensor, make sure its plugged in tightly first. If tight, wiggle the wiring. If the engine smooths out, you have a wiring issue. If not, swap the bank 2 sensor with the bank 1 sensor. If the problem moves to bank 1, P0017, then the sensor is bad. If the problem remains P0019 I believe your issue is the timing chain on bank 2, most likely jumped a tooth or two as it has been modified. Check to see that the timing has not moved.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 1 month ago #39826 by 70monte
Thank you for that information. Just to clarify, is the sensor location in the front of the head that is facing the radiator or the front side of the head facing the fender?

He comes back into town Tuesday night so I will try looking at it on Wednesday.

I wrote the other code wrong, it's a P0302 which is a cylinder 2 misfire. Do you think that is related to the P0019 code?

More
4 years 1 month ago #39845 by VegasJAK
front side of the head facing the fender... P0302 will be consistent with the P0019. Both refer to bank 2 problems.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 1 month ago #39851 by 70monte
Thanks for the verification. Since the truck is misfiring, if he continues to drive it, is there a good chance he will kill his Cat on that bank? He is out of town for work and will have to drive it back home.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39860 by 70monte
I also posted this question on a F150 forum I'm a member of and they gave me a different location for the cam sensors and posted a diagram of where they are at and according to the diagram, they are in the back of the head below the valve covers. I tried to post a link to my post on that site but it won't let me.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39899 by VegasJAK
Engine is a Coyote 5.0? if so... correct, they are at the rear of each head. Does the engine also have sensors on top of valve covers at front of engine? If so, those are for the variable cam timing for the phasers.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39916 by tech25
Sensors appear to be in the back of the cylinder head... this car has timing chains, and timing marks on the phaser...camshaft...crankshaft and sprockets. there are colored links in the timing chain and they must match up to the indicated marks. HIGHLY!! suspect timing is off on the left bank. I would remove valve covers and rotate engine by hand and verify timing marks.
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #39917 by 70monte
Yes, this is the Coyote 5.0 and it does have the two sensors on the front of each valve cover.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39918 by 70monte
The engine ran fine for about 5,000 miles after the repair with no codes or misfires so something must have happened for it to have jumped time if that is what has happened. He is going to take it back to the shop that repaired it and see what they say. Thanks for the info.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39958 by VegasJAK
timing chain guide/tension probably let go... don't waste time with sensors have the timing checked.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds