Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

No start 2006 Nissan murano

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39755 by Sal209120
Thinking the ecu is bad but want to be sure. Have a no start but does crank. I attempted to begin with a 5v reference check but not to confident in the test. Took the cam, crank, and COP ignition coils and all have 3 wires each. I assumed these wires are ground, power, and signal. I got 12volts of power for each feed and good ground, and no signal voltage. Is this enough to say bad computer? 12v to high for sensors? Shouldn’t it be 5?
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Sal209120.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39763 by Sal209120
Thanks for the reply, I’m very new to this. I have no spark, soi felt the need to start there before compression and fuel. (Installed a new fuel pump before this) haven’t checked compression or fuel pressure. The spark plug wells and COP coils were filled with oil. I was going to replace them but wanted to test the coil. It’s a three pin. The harness gives a 12 constant power and the ground is good. Nothing from signal and no flash when probed with a test light and engine cranking. It used to have some codes a year ago but I gave Up at that time. so I’m not sure if that erases codes overtime.now it has no codes but cranks . Any way I can “ be the signal” to makes sure the coil on plug works?

More
4 years 1 month ago #39764 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic No start 2006 Nissan murano
The signal from the PCM to the coil is very weak, and won't show up with a test light (incandescent, LED or otherwise). Best choice for verifying signal is with a scope.

This SD video demonstrates how to 'be the computer' with these coils:

I understand why you're not worried about injector pulse, fuel, or compression just yet, since you don't have spark. However, knowing if you have those other things can help you get a better idea of where you're headed with your diagnosis. For example, missing spark but not injection pulse might suggest the cam/crank signals are OK. Missing both might suggest an input problem.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39781 by Sal209120
Thank you Tyler. I will try a scope and review your suggestions.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39793 by Sal209120
update: I did have a voltage reading on my signal wire for the coil ( COP type). as suggested i was not able to pick it up with a test light due to low voltage. Used a multimeter and this signal wire had a voltage reading of 9mv in the on pos. when cranking it went to 45mv. These readings seem low for a signal. Should i expect to see a higher voltage? if so possible reasons; short or ECU? also have not gone around to getting a scope yet
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Curtis

More
4 years 1 month ago #39795 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic No start 2006 Nissan murano

Sal209120 wrote: update: I did have a voltage reading on my signal wire for the coil ( COP type). as suggested i was not able to pick it up with a test light due to low voltage. Used a multimeter and this signal wire had a voltage reading of 9mv in the on pos. when cranking it went to 45mv. These readings seem low for a signal. Should i expect to see a higher voltage? if so possible reasons; short or ECU? also have not gone around to getting a scope yet

That 45mv cranking might be your DMM averaging trigger pulses in with the base ~0 v. If your DMM has a bar graph manually rangeing to 6v and watching the bar graph might show pulses. This works with my Flukes, as a quick and dirty test, but they're fairly fast refresh at 40 Hz.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39801 by Sal209120
Dang I have no graph on my basic Multimeter. Any product you recommend I try to see this pulse? I hope the signal is there and it’s just a bad ignition coil. But then all 6 coils would be bad, which I’m hoping for but not likely. This car does have 160k miles and the spark plugs never seemed to be Changed so I hope they are all bad and ecu is fine. Thanks again

More
4 years 1 month ago #39822 by Tyler

Sal209120 wrote: Dang I have no graph on my basic Multimeter. Any product you recommend I try to see this pulse? I hope the signal is there and it’s just a bad ignition coil. But then all 6 coils would be bad, which I’m hoping for but not likely. This car does have 160k miles and the spark plugs never seemed to be Changed so I hope they are all bad and ecu is fine. Thanks again

I may try to experiment with this tomorrow on my Sentra. Let you know what I find. :cheer:

More
4 years 1 month ago #39829 by Sal209120
I will try to get them to spark with a test light soon. Is it okay to apply 12 volts to the signal wire to see if it will spark?

More
4 years 1 month ago #39830 by Sal209120
Thanks

More
4 years 1 month ago #39835 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic No start 2006 Nissan murano

Sal209120 wrote: Dang I have no graph on my basic Multimeter. Any product you recommend I try to see this pulse?

Like Tyler said a 'scope is the best way to check it. And an inexpensive 'scope can be had for less money than a good DMM.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39874 by Tyler
I finally got around to trying this on my Sentra. Different YMM, of course, but the principle should still apply.

Short answer is yes! You can use a DMM to check for signal on the coil wire. First, a shakycam of my meter on the #1 coil control wire with the engine idling:

drive.google.com/file/d/1kER3F5ziMMfHJZV...dRa/view?usp=sharing

About .13V, probably because of the short dwell time at idle.

Then cranking:

drive.google.com/file/d/1k6JmAMSwh0eA4_K...-Bx/view?usp=sharing

Over .3V seems to be good. It's probably also changing because my battery is weak. :(

Let me know if the links don't work.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds