Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2010 Subaru Forester P0304 code, 139k miles, unknown veh. history

More
4 years 2 months ago #39497 by Dtnel
You probably didn't have one that had half the front fairings missing on the lower thus allowing salty roads, etc to get into engine compartment.

Wheres the serial numbers on these engines as I have a hunch it's been replaced but also doing a little research I found this vehicle went into service in Pennsylvania and at 30k miles was in Juneau AK and has been back towards the east coast as well.

This vehicle has seen alot of salt belt life.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #39498 by Dtnel
It's part of the good with the bad in life and things we do. Learned this driving truck years ago when I'd ask for good loads and had a hard dispatcher that said I had tl take the good with the bad but he respected me for it in the end and I respected him as well and I got plenty of miles as well.

In ways you can't run 4500 to 5000 miles per week and get away with it. Back in the late 2000's and before I could. Made some good money those days. How do they say it, work hard and play hard as well.... Lol...

More
4 years 2 months ago #39499 by Dtnel
I actually have to go out and also the ol girl back together today so when the valve cover comes tomorrow I just get the last valve cover, gasket, tube seals, plugs, wires and the rest of the engine bay assembled, was the power steering fluid off the engine (turned the wheel with the line disconnected, engine off though), then I'll take it for a long good hard test drive and hope it cleared me misfire.

I did print the mode6 data I believe we were discussing?

I'll try to take a picture and load it up for Tyler? I believe.

Going to upload a chart I printed off. Have to take some shots of it. It regards the sequence table for mode$06 .

WooHoo!! Just figured out how to collage as I had the front and back side of the sheet and also figured out how to put the photo inline on a post using the Tapatalk Pro App !! Success!! As they say if you're not learning something new everyday then hang it up as ur days are numbered.

Keep a positive outlook on life and it'll go well for you!

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #39505 by Dtnel
@Tyler would this be the data you were referring to getting?

Alot if not most of it is Chinese to me in terms of understanding. Though nothing learned, nothing gained so I need to find the learning side of things in regards to this.

I'm just hoping the spark plug wire was the solution to the issue. I'm sure someone who understands this data may know and could possibly point me in a direction of understanding.

I do have a handful of ATG books of many that I own that I need to read. Maybe 1 of them has the answers I need to understand this? If so hopefully someone can tell me which ATG book it is.

"Reading is knowledge, knowledge is power".....

Here's the screenshots I took of some of the videos of the freeze frame data, mode$06 data (hopefully the right mode$06 data)??

Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Dtnel.

More
4 years 2 months ago #39506 by Tyler

Dtnel wrote: @Tyler would this be the data you were referring to getting?

That's it. B) Any counts on other cylinders?

I know it all looks like gobbledygook. :silly: But it gets definitely gets easier with experience. This kind of data makes no code misfire diagnostics MUCH easier. It can also help you back up/verify the fault code you're seeing. Seeing a P0301, for example, but finding high counts on #4 would make me question the code. Or, finding a P0301, but seeing equally high counts on all cylinders. The code suggests a dead miss, but the data says otherwise.

In your case, the miss counts weren't really needed to find the issue, and Suby miss codes rarely lie. But in the future, if you were moving ignition parts around, you could use those same counts to track where the problem moved to - without having to make the miss happen enough to flag a code. ;)

Like most things, it takes looking at many known bad and known good cars to get a feel for whats normal and what's not. Just another tool in the box.

More
4 years 2 months ago #39510 by Dtnel
Hmmm learned something new there, get the other cylinders as you described.

Battery's been out a few days. Waiting on part later today.

Sluffed off all weekend so didn't get everything back together as I'd planned but the drivers side.

OH well. I'll go to bed, get up around 5 hrs, grab a shower, breakfast and spend the afternoon / early evening working on it. Sitting on my driveway.

I'll get er wrapped up sometime this evening unless something else rears it's ugly head. Luckily I do this to pay for tools.

Maybe the next few will be easier diag's...

More
4 years 2 months ago #39543 by Dtnel
So went and got the valve cover from Subaru today, $58.** with tax. Not a bad price if you ask me.

Got home, cut the box open in my car to check it out as it was taped and sealed at the dealer.

Noticed one of the ends has a bolt hole and told myself " I bet this is the passenger side". Looked at label on box and low and behold it was the RH Side according to the box.

I was pissed but not much I can do so I called the dealer and they were like "yeah you ordered a drivers side as our notes from when you called last week shows".

They ordered one and think they got the order in on time to have it here on Wed so it's fingers crossed.

Luckily the guy has a truck from work he can use and is a laid back guy so this will work out eventually.

BTW looked on shopkey and for the life of me couldn't find a torque value for the VALVE cover bolts. I will say that I know they're not to be cranked on as I always hand tighten and torque gaskets if torque is available.

Does anyone happen to know the valve cover torque by chance?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 months ago #39544 by Noah
According to All Data:
Tighten in alphabetical sequence in 2 steps

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Attachments:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 months ago #39545 by Noah
So 4.7ftlbs in alphabetical order then go back around in the same order, same torque.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
4 years 1 month ago #39646 by Dtnel
Why doesn't tapatalk pro show photos in the post? IF they're below attached they show from what I recall. Do I need to change a setting in the app?

IS there a more compatible app? I can use app or Chrome which I've been trying to get away from as I probably have well over 500 tabs open and it don't slow phone either.

Next post coming up is #2 and #4 plug compared to a new one.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39647 by Dtnel
# 4 seems a little drier than #2 ? Maybe because thy tip is not as high as #2 ?

Any thoughts? Back to grinding.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39676 by Tyler
That plug gap. :ohmy: No wonder it carbon tracked.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39698 by Dtnel
B) B) B) B) B) :angry: :angry: :woohoo:

Wait till u c the next post.

Vehicle is all good except a really low idle and.....

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39699 by Dtnel
Ok why when I clear the codes am I getting this? Is it a Subaru thing for permanent codes or what?

I know I've read up on this before and quite sure did training around it but we all get brain farts and I'm having one of those today.

Nothing is showing active just permanent on a pre scan....
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Dtnel. Reason: Forgot pics but can't move to editor and copy and paste text so see next post for photos regarding this.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39700 by Tyler

Did you clean the throttle body? If you haven't, disconnect the battery again and clean it.

Hook everything back up and idle it with no loads for 10 minutes.

Are you seeing permanent codes from Mode $0A? That happens. They'll be there for awhile after the repair. As long as you don't see codes anywhere else, it's no biggie.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39701 by Dtnel
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #39702 by Tyler
Unless the ABS or traction control lights are on, I wouldn't sweat the C0071, either. Likely a result of the battery disconnect. Go into the ABS scan data and watch the sensor working, if you want to be sure it's OK.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39707 by Dtnel

Did you clean the throttle body?

No didn't clean it, more to follow.. :(

If you haven't, disconnect the battery again and clean it.

Hook everything back up and idle it with no loads for 10 minutes.

Actually had to battery out and did a charge on it twice to make sure it was fully charged.

Are you seeing permanent codes from Mode $0A? That happens. They'll be there for awhile after the repair. As long as you don't see codes anywhere else, it's no biggie.

Yes saw the permanent code in Global side I'll wait and watch for it to clear .
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds