Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Crank sensor waveform help

More
5 years 9 months ago #23464 by sam12301
Hi im a bit confused with the waveform im seeing...

So upon putting my verus scope on the crank signal wire with the car running im getting a waveform that i cant work out, im getting a fault code for a cam sensor fault but when iv scoped the cam sensor everything is as it should be a nice square wave from 5v to 0v but when iv scoped the crank sensor its a 3 wire sensor and like i say the waveform is wierd. Iv attached some pics of the crank waveform.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23465 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Crank sensor waveform help
I dunno, that looks like a decent crank signal to me? :huh: Is this off your VW Fox? I won't be able to find a known good to compare to, since the US market never got the 1.2L engine. But at first glance, that appears to be a fairly typical Hall effect waveform with a sync notch.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23466 by sam12301
Replied by sam12301 on topic Crank sensor waveform help
Yh its off the vw fox 1.2, its strange because its giving a cam sensor fault an intermittent one and iv scoped the cam sensor and the form is bang on with the its a nice square wave on and off from 5v to 0v and the ground is good and the power and i cant for the life of me get it to act up, iv tried scoping from a cold start when its not been started for a day, iv tried getting the car hot, iv tried turning it on and off loads of times.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23467 by sam12301
Although check out the cam waveform is this bad? Because when i have been on the freeze frame data for the cam fault the rpm shows 256rpm and iv just noticed now on the cam waveform as i started the car theres some noise in the wave form iv attached the pics for the first few frames as i started it, the yellow is the cam signal and the green is the cam power wire
Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #23468 by sam12301
It does it on each startup iv just looked further back in the waveform where i did another startup and it also has noise
Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #23476 by Paul P.
Replied by Paul P. on topic Crank sensor waveform help
Can you Post an AC Ripple pattern photo? Check any(all) other 5v feed outputs from the PCM and see if that noise is there. I'm thinking too much AC Ripple, Power and grounds to pcm, and pcm 5 v regulator.

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23494 by sam12301
Iv only just started using a scope so sorry for the silly question but how do i set it up for an ac ripple

More
5 years 9 months ago #23496 by graywave
Replied by graywave on topic Crank sensor waveform help
An AC Ripple test should be done at the alternator's B-Post as the battery can absorb or buffer the ripple.

Hook up a lead from one of your scope channels to the B-Post on the back of the alternator, if access is to hard you can go directly to the positive terminal of the battery, just keep in mind the ripple might be reduced, though if its bad enough to cause problems you should be able to see it

In the channel probe settings you want to turn on AC Couple which will filter out all DC voltage and only show AC voltage. Remember DC couple still shows AC ripple but only on the very top of the voltage line and usually you can't scale it enough to measure it without AC Coupling the scope.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #23497 by graywave
Replied by graywave on topic Crank sensor waveform help
Cam signal looks good, the little bit of noise you see if perfectly fine.
Crank sensor waveform looks OK. I have seen crank sensor waveforms with a slight curve to them and cause no issues. Maybe the sensor is a little sluggish but I wouldn't tread that way just yet.. It is true that some vehicles will set a cam code for a crank sensor and visa-versa

Can you get set you scope to 100ms or 200ms and start recording to capture the cam signal during cranking and at idle. Stop the capture before the buffer starts to overlap. 100ms and 200ms should give you more than enough buffer to hit the stop button. This will tell us if the cam sensor is not picking up the tone ring during cranking. You can then zoom the waveform out to see repetition but you are able to zoom in for detail as well.

Does the code set every single time during cranking?

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by graywave.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23498 by juergen.scholl
In your verus software there is a preset for ac-ripple testing, look for it . It will also tell you what this test is actually about.

As others have stated, both sensor waveforms look completely normal .The noise while cranking is probably caused by the high starter current, nothing to worry about.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23500 by sam12301
Ill get an ac ripple picture for you also ill set the scope up like you say and capture the cam signal and post that

More
5 years 9 months ago #23504 by Paul P.
Also, do a voltage drop test on the PWR feed and GND to the sensor KOER. Anything above 150Mv is suspicious.

AC Ripple, any thing over 300MV is suspect.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23505 by Paul P.
Another thing I like to do as well when using a scope or doing voltage drops is perform your tests. then perform your tests with a booster cable from BAT GND to the engine block to see if results are different. This has saved my butt more than once lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23506 by sam12301
Ill do all the tests and get some pictures, it wil probably be weekend when i do it

More
5 years 9 months ago #23564 by sam12301
Right so iv done a voltage drop test with KOER on the cam power and the cam gnd and iv attached some pics of each of them and also iv done an ac ripple test on the batt gnd to batt + because the alternator post was difficult to get on without pulling things apart and iv attached pics of that, and my other test iv done was the cam signal with the scope set to 100ms and then cranked the car and let it idle so iv also attached them pics.......

So the 0.02v was the voltage drop from sensor gnd to batt gnd

The 9.2v was the voltage drop from sensor power to batt +

More
5 years 9 months ago #23565 by sam12301
More cam signal pics iv showed the zoomed out pics aswell and as you can see the square waves are not perfect squares theres like little tiny spikes all the way along

More
5 years 9 months ago #23608 by sam12301
Anyone any ideas then? Iv posted the pics of the tests :)

More
5 years 9 months ago #23655 by Paul P.
The ground drop looks good. However the 9.2 volts is interesting....

Firstly, to drop test the power feed, it would be from the sensor connector backprobed, to the PCM backprobed. Circuit Loaded.

Lets make an assumption... assuming your KOEO system voltage is 12.6 volts.

12.6-9.2=3.4 V : IF, your PWR Feed was 12V this is way too much drop.(This drop also includes a lot of circuitry)

However, if the feed is 5V PWR, 12.6-9.2-5=-1.6 or 1.6 volts of drop which is still way too much.

Your original photos showed 2 small spikes about maybe 1/2 a volt. Those spikes should not be there.

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 9 months ago #23657 by sam12301
Yh the pwr for the cam sensor is a 5v pwr feed so ill also redo the voltage drop on that from the sensor pwr to pcm.

So them spikes that are 1/2 a volt what are they telling us? What could be causing them?

There is also a thought in the back of my mind of it being a faulty pcm because it is also throwing codes for the pcm signal and also the same code in the brakes module giving a pcm signal code and a few other random faults in other modules

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #23659 by Paul P.
IMO, it can be two things, signal wire could be picking up voltage from somewhere else, OR the sensor itself can cause that small spike.

But before you condemn the PCM, scope and volt drop all sensors on the 5v regulator excluding thermistors, Vdrop PWR and GND to the PCM.

Sorry, but I just read your reply about the other problems

Unfortunately you've got lots of checks to do.

That one Cam pic with the spike really bugs me, when the signal is high, something is trying to pull it down to ground by that 1/2 volt.

Never stop Learning.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Paul P.. Reason: added last line

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds