Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Car jerking when I stop on the red light

More
6 years 8 months ago #12034 by Fil-Oz
My car: Holden Viva 2007. Last week I notice that my car jerks whenever I stop on red light, just a slight sudden push of the car. It happens only when I came from driving and stop on the red light. On the 5th time, the engine stopped after the jerk in the middle of the traffic light and engine light sign on the dashboard appeared. Called towing truck and the truck driver was able to start the engine and drive my car to load in the towing truck. Yes, after the engine stopped and rested for more than 30 minutes, car started & run BUT THE engine light/sign still on the dashboard. Towing truck took it to Repair shop. Mechanic told me he just removed the engine sign on the dashboard because he drive it and found nothing was wrong. SO I pick it up today and drove it home. BUT when I stopped on the 1st red light from the Auto shop, it did the jerking again for twice. Then it also happened(jerking/jumping of car) on the last 3rd red lights I stopped. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR? Please help me. I will be driving it going to work tomorrow and I am worried if I stall again in the middle of traffic lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12049 by Dave101
Without any scan data or other information, I am a loss. My first thought without knowing anything else, I am suspecting a possible vacuum leak somewhere. Is it possible that the mechanic that cleared the light would be able to tell you what code that the car threw out before he cleared them??

More
6 years 8 months ago #12056 by Tyler
Agree with Dave101, knowing what the fault code was would be helpful. Your mechanic didn't happen to document it on the invoice, did he?

The first thing that occurs to me is a torque converter sticking applied from low transmission fluid level. If your Viva has a trans fluid dipstick, this would be easy enough to verify. If it's low, add the correct fluid and recheck for the symptom.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12066 by Shifferbrains
I agree with the previous posters, we need more information.

I agree with Tyler, my first impression is with the torque converter clutch lock-up not fully disengaging.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Shifferbrains.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12092 by Tyler

Shifferbrains wrote: I agree with the previous posters, we need more information.

I agree with Tyler, my first impression is with the torque converter clutch lock-up not fully disengaging.

Your username :lol: :silly:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shifferbrains

More
6 years 8 months ago #12107 by Fil-Oz
Thanks for the reply. That mechanic who removed the engine light/sign on the dashboard did not even gave me the code. I had a guess that he was too lazy as foreman in that mechanic shop to cut short the job and not telling the code will justify his "nothing is wrong with my car" statement. But I will take note on what you guess & will suggest to another mechanic shop to check if there is really a vacuum leak on my car.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12110 by Fil-Oz
Thank you Tyler. I don't think the mechanic that deleted the engine sign on the dashboard recorded the code because if he does, he would have told me. Guessing that he wanted to lessen his job(short cut job so he won't spent more time on fixing my car). Did asked update twice until I got annoyed and pulled out my car from their work shop. Anyway, had taken to another mechanic and advised them to flush out & replace transmission oil since I also had researched that it might be one of the problem too: "dirty/not enough fluid circulating in the engine will create the same issue". Thank you. I will post here what the mechanic had found reason of my car, reason to jerk & stop the motor twice now.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12111 by Fil-Oz
It's alright guys. Thank you for replies. I had actually taken it to Holden Repair Shop last Friday because the motor stopped again and engine sign appeared on the dashboard, in a street corner when I stopped to look if there is car coming before I have to turn to the right BUT lucky me, I was able to start the car back & drive going to Holden Repair Shop. I will post it here what the mechanic had found on the issue of my car so everyone knew what are the reason WHY CAR JERKING that leads to seizing the motor and engine light will appear on the dashboard. Thank you very much guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
6 years 8 months ago #12124 by Tyler
Thanks for the updates!

Sounds like the trans service did not improve the situation?

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds