Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 F250 6.8 FPDM

More
3 weeks 37 minutes ago #65283 by Artstu
2008 F250 6.8 FPDM was created by Artstu
My 2008 F250 has been acting up lately. 3 years ago the FPDM failed, replaced it with a dorman 590-001, was all great until a few months ago.
Truck consistently starts, would cut out while driving, no fuel pressure, verified power to module, forscan shows the fuel pressure drop off and the duty cycle for fuel pull deman ramps up. Durring this there was no power delivered to fuel pump. Jumpering the FPDM I would get 75 psi fuel pressure on the fuel rail. I warrantied the module, and it had similar issues.
At this point I went further on diagnosing, found a less than perfect ground at the rear frame rail, completely rebuilt the ground in the circuit including tying in the shield for the fuel pump wiring, ohmed out the communication wiring for the FPDM, pump and pump wiring separately.
Confirmed the duty cycle demand to the fpdm was the same as the computer was requesting. The fpdm will shut off while idling in the driveway.
At this point it seemed like the dorman warranty part was doa, I installed a motorcraft fpdm. Everything worked great, idled for an hour no issues, drove around the block a few times, seemed fixed. After 35-45 minutes it cuts out.
I checked that the monitor duty cycle and it goes from 50% while everything is working to 0% when it shut off. The control duty cycle tracks what forscan is saying. FPDM is switching the 12v side to the pump, ground to the pump is good from the moment the fpdm gets power. Seems opposite of what I have seen online, tripple checked the wiring on the fpdm plug.
I have also changed the plug, wasn't sure if I was having bad connections.
Checked the circuit under load, fuel pump jumpered 100%, draws 9.8-10 amps, 13 volts across the pump.
I dont have a scope, just multi meters that can read duty cycle and hz.
When the fpdm cuts out i have confirmed that the voltage to it does not drop out.
I have been able to replicate this with the truck idling in the driveway.
I have not been able to watch the fpdm monitor duty cycle as the driver cuts out.
I have also checked over the wiring harness under the truck, dropped the tank and checked the connector, ran power from the battery to the output of the inertia switch.
Fuel pump ohms from .8-1.6, it seems to always read higher when the fpdm has shut off. Is the pump just tired?
Any help would be awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #65285 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2008 F250 6.8 FPDM
Artstu, do you recall if any fault codes set during the stall? I figure with the FPM circuit showing 0%, or the fuel pressure not meeting desired, one fault or another would have shown up.

You said you can reproduce this in your driveway, right? In that case, I think I'd try jumping power and ground to the pump at the FPDM connector and seeing if the loss of fuel pressure reoccurs. If it does, the FPDM and the control circuits aren't the problem.

I don't recall if it's possible with this exact FPDM connector (WPT-903), but on some, you can simply use an ATM or Micro2 fuse across pin #2 + #3 and #4 +#5.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #65286 by Artstu
Replied by Artstu on topic 2008 F250 6.8 FPDM
I will have to check, the exact codes, but low rail pressure and possibly loss of power to module, I will reset the codes and confirm without u plugging and checking anything.
The pump always makes 70-75 psi when jumping power and ground at the connector for the fpdm, even immediately after the module shuts down. I am going to double check the monitor circuit, I have seen they are sometimes low frequency and a multimeter can have a hard time picking it up as a duty cycle.
I will also upload a couple of logs showing what the pressure demand, control and rail pressure are.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #65288 by Artstu
Cleared and pulled the codes again after experiencing the drop in fuel supply. Didn't get a chance to confirm duty cycle on the monitor circuit.
P1233
P0191
From what I have read if I had a problem with the fuel pump or the wiring I would have a p1237.
attached a couple screenshots of what is going on one from initial starting, one when it cuts out. Durring both these situations I have confirmed that the control duty cycle is correct at the pcm plug and at the fpcm plug, both reading desired duty cycle plus or minus 1-2% at 150 hz and while everything is working I have 50% on the monitor pin.
Attachments:

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #65305 by Artstu
Quick update. I ran dedicated 10 awg from the battery ground and power to the fpdm pins 3 and 5. Confirmed control circuit, matches ecu demand, monitor circuit has 50% while running, goes straight to 0%, 14v when it shuts down.
This is happening on both the brand new dorman part and the brand new motorcraft part. At a bit of a loss here, everything I have read still points to a bad fpdm, but I am leaning towards just putting in a new pump to rule that out. Not a fan of just changing everthing till it works.

More
2 weeks 15 hours ago - 2 weeks 14 hours ago #65369 by Artstu
Changed the pump, same issue, ford module only lasts for 5 min idling in the driveway now. I depinned the connector for the fpdm and tightened the tabs on each pin just to make sure it isn't loosing connection while running.
Restarting after it dies leads to shorter running times or no running time.
All fingers are pointing to a dead fpdm, just having a hard time believing it.
Last edit: 2 weeks 14 hours ago by Artstu. Reason: More info

More
1 hour 6 minutes ago #65514 by BBoone
Replied by BBoone on topic 2008 F250 6.8 FPDM
It has been about 3 weeks since your last post, wondering if you have found the problem? I am having the same issue with my 2006 Ford E-450 SD with 6.8 V10. I am at the same point as you were with your last post.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds