Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

ABS/Traction/Brake Light on But No DTC

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65160 by GeminiSeven43
Hello all, 
    Recently while driving my wife's 2013 Nissan Sentra the traction control light came on followed by what felt like the transmission starting off in second gear. Then the ABS light came
on and I returned home. I hooked up my Thinktool Pro and scanned for codes and found a usual MAF Code (P0101) and a new code C1130-00 Engine Signal code. Thinking of a bad wheel speed sensor I graphed all four and drove the car and saw no difference in any of the sensors. I cleared the codes and rechecked and everything was normal so I drove over to get the oil changed and while waiting in line the ABS, Traction, and Brake light came on again together this time. I again scanned for codes but found no codes in the car at all I was hoping that someone could let me know how a car can have several lights on and yet not set any DTC's? I thought about communication issues but if a module wasn't communicating with the ECM shouldn't there be a code? Also if there was a power/ground issue in a module would that generate a DTC?  Two days before I had the car into the Nissan dealer for a security issue recall involving a ECM reprogram and asked them to check on the recurring MAF DTC that I found a tech service bulletin on (another ECM reprogram) but instead they did a $225 diag and came up with $900 in suggested repairs on other things but did nothing with the MAF. Since they checked the brakes I was thinking that they may have damaged the wheel speed sensors causing my issue but the signals from the sensors look stable and consistent with each other. I am at a loss on this and before I start unplugging modules I wanted to ask the forum for advice on this. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from anyone soon. Thanks Paul for your great channel and for all you do to help others.
                                              Best Regards,
                                                       Ross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65164 by Noah
Does your think tool have the capability to communicate with modules other than the engine controller? I'm not familiar with that tool but you will need something that can pull codes and log data from the abs module to proceed

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65166 by GeminiSeven43
Hello Noah,
Thank you so much for your reply and I am using the thinktool pro and yes it does have the ability to communicate with all the modules and is Bi-Directional. I choose this scanner based on watching Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics work on everything under the sun including the exotics with this tool and being able to do almost everything that the autels will do at a reasonable price. It has the topology for the modules and I went directly to the ABS and found no DTC and was able to pick and monitor PIDS on the Data Stream. I checked the four wheel speed sensors, the steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, and G-sensors and they seemed to be stable with no erratic fluctuations. It is strange that while sitting at an idle I have seen the three lights (ABS,Traction,and Brake) come on without any MIL light and no DTC's present or pending. My next step is to monitor the CAN bus with a pico scope and I was wondering if the DLC connector would be a good place to monitor this? Thanks again for all your help and have a wonderful weekend.
Best Regards,
Ross

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds