Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

EVAP leak

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65118 by fvalero32
EVAP leak was created by fvalero32
Good evening everybody!

I preface: I am not a mechanic and I’ve been learning these methods , so please excuse any basic concepts that I may not know.
I am working on my mustang 2001 v6 3.8 automatic , with a p442, p455 and a p457 code I did a smoke test , I closed the vent solenoid and KOEO and unplugged the hose to the intake manifold of the purge solenoid , I understood that I shouldn’t have any flow but I did, I tested the circuits of the PV ( ground sided ) all is correct , so I was confident I needed a new valve, but  the flow at the PV still there, so I know I’m doing something wrong but I am lost.  I  also tested independently for leaks at the engine and I have leaks everywhere, intake gasket, TPS, IAC(however my STF and LTF they fluctuate constantly from 1-4% both banks)
is it safe to think that those leaks are triggering the codes and therefore I need to fix them first before I do a new smoke test? 
footnote: there are no leaks at the vent solenoid , fuel pipe neck or grommet. 

needless to say, I am not trying for anybody to diagnose it (it may be impossible through this email) I am just looking for some guidance , either in Paul’s classes , videos or any other source, as I am committed to find it!!!!
Thank you for your support!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65122 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic EVAP leak
Please include the code number and definitions when asking for help. If you have smoke flowing through the purge valve while it is commanded off, then is sounds like you got a bad new purge valve.
The vacuum leaks you have uncovered around the intake manifold will not set codes for the EVAP system unless one of those leaks is at a hose connected to the purge valve.
I like to disconnect the purge valve connector and the line that goes to the canister, install a vacuum gauge on the purge valve and start the engine. There should be no vacuum present at the purge valve, canister side with the valve unplugged. What smoke machine are you using?
To smoke the rest of the system effectively, the smoke machine you are using must have a flow gauge so you can tell of the system is sealed.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65134 by fvalero32
Replied by fvalero32 on topic EVAP leak
Thank you Noah! I am a banker by profession, hence I will follow your instructions on the weekend and answer your questions

Thank you again for taking the time to answer and help

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds