Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 Chevy Duramax 6.6 range shift inhibited?

• RCB
  • RCB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Heavy-duty diesel mechanic based in Oregon
More
2 months 1 week ago #64830 by RCB
I have a 2004 Chevy Duramax showing a "range shift inhibit" message. While searching for a solution online, I found the part cannon method, which involves replacing the NSBU switch or ignition due to low voltage. When I check the voltage from the ignition using a scanner, it appears that the voltage is not dropping. In cases where the NSBU switch is the problem, the gear selector display will usually blink (PRND321) it not doing that and on the scanner. it's still commanding the correct gear, I'm unsure how to verify if the NSBU switch is the issue.

And there are no codes for the transmission

​​​​​​​ I haven't found anything on Mitchell that helps

As a heavy-duty diesel mechanic based in Oregon, I work on a variety of vehicles, including F-150s, tractor-trailers, RVs, pumper trailers, wood chippers, and whatever else the owner brings in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #64831 by A.Bernier
NORMAL Inhibits Which Result in a Blinking PRNDL
• High Engine Speed NEUTRAL to Range Shifts When a NEUTRAL to DRIVE or NEUTRAL to REVERSE shift is made, when engine RPM is high, the shift will be inhibited to NEUTRAL.
• High Throttle or Torque Direction Change Shifts REVERSE to DRIVE, DRIVE to REVERSE, NEUTRAL to DRIVE, and NEUTRAL to REVERSE shifts, where throttle position is greater than 25 percent, will be inhibited to NEUTRAL.
• Four-Wheel Drive Transfer Case in NEUTRAL if the four-wheel drive transfer case is shifted into NEUTRAL while the transmission is in DRIVE or REVERSE, the transmission will continue to the commanded range until output speed is low, at which point NEUTRAL is commanded. If the driver attempts to shift the transmission from NEUTRAL to DRIVE or NEUTRAL to REVERSE, with the transfer case in NEUTRAL, the PRNDL display will blink immediately.

I did not know this information, So I thought I would share it.
I had many other trucks with connector issues at the PRNDL switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RCB

• RCB
  • RCB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Heavy-duty diesel mechanic based in Oregon
More
1 month 1 week ago #65229 by RCB
We sent the truck to a transmission shop, hoping they could fix it, but unfortunately, they couldn't. It's surprising how rare it is to find knowledgeable professionals in this industry. We have sent multiple trucks to dealerships and transmission shops with the hope that they would be able to fix the issues, but it seems that, on average, I know more about it than they do. And this is even though I've only been doing it for two and a half years plus schooling.

Some other technicians are throwing parts at the truck but still haven't fixed it, so it's returning to me.
 I'm hoping maybe somebody sees its post and has some other ideas

As a heavy-duty diesel mechanic based in Oregon, I work on a variety of vehicles, including F-150s, tractor-trailers, RVs, pumper trailers, wood chippers, and whatever else the owner brings in.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65238 by A.Bernier
"It's surprising how rare it is to find knowledgeable professionals in this industry. "
I know the feeling.
See my post on The 2005 Toyota Tacoma P0051 heater circuit.
I'll be messing with it today. I may try to Induce Over 10 amps , to cause a P0053. Or put the old PCM back in.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds