Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ford PATS key issue, pretty sure I screwed it up....

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 6 days ago #64152 by Usafexplorer
New to the forum and I already messed up my car with a Christmas present from my wife.  I received a Launch CRP919E BT scanner for Christmas, we are keeping our older vehicles on the road longer these days and figured this was a decent model to start with.  I also had an immediate need to replace the key fobs as the functionality was getting bad as they were just worn out. At first, I added a couple Amazon key fobs without any issue, car started and the key fob worked.  When I tried to add an additional the max number of programmed was apparently reached, we bought the car used and only received one key but there must have been other programmed. 

So I hooked up the handy dandy scanner tool to my 2013 Ford Taurus and proceeded to erase the programmed keys so I could add the new ones, that's when I started to regret this decision.  Only one key successfully programmed, the doors lock/unlock and the remote start work but the PATS security function is blocking the function of the Start button (I assume in simple terms).

Do I have any options here or does this car need a tow to the dealer?  My fear is I really screwed up this time, thanks for any suggestions. 
Last edit: 4 months 6 days ago by Usafexplorer. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #64154 by Chad

we bought the car used and only received one key

If all keys have been erased, Ford requires two different keys to re-program.  (two copies of the same (cloned) key will not work). Do you have two different OEM keys?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 months 6 days ago - 4 months 6 days ago #64155 by Usafexplorer
I have keys that can be programmed, getting the vehicle to cooperate is the challenge. When I connect the scanner and access the PATS security function it says to turn the ignition on, the start button won't activate.

I can use the remote start through the one programmed key fob but it times out at almost the same time as the PATS pre-programmed delay so I can't enter the programming mode within the PATS menu.
Last edit: 4 months 6 days ago by Usafexplorer.

More
4 months 6 days ago - 4 months 6 days ago #64156 by Tyler
If you put either key in the transceiver slot in the glove box, does the ignition then come on?

I looked into what service info says to do in this situation, and I found this:

The third note is the relevant bit. Basically, there's still a way to gain security access through IDS (or probably FJDS, too). You could look up the tear tag or PCM part number through motorcraftservice.com.

As a last chance, you could always try Forscan. It'll do PATS programming, as well as allow you to start a session based on the PCM part number. I can't say I've ever tried using it in this context, but it could be worth a shot.

forscan.org/download.html
Last edit: 4 months 6 days ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
4 months 6 days ago #64157 by Usafexplorer
Thanks Tyler, I appreciate the assistance. I don't believe both programmed correctly on my last attempt, at this point I'm certainly new with a scanner and its unclear where I failed. I will try again and try putting the programmed key into the glove box slot and see if anything changes.

Forscan is another option but I was kinda hoping I could do it all through the Launch scanner tool. Thanks again.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #64357 by Usafexplorer

If you put either key in the transceiver slot in the glove box, does the ignition then come on?

Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Usafexplorer.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #64358 by Usafexplorer
Sorry, screwed up the quote above.

To answer your question Tyler that didn't seem to help. I'll try the ForScan forum and sse what they think over there, kinda running out of options...

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64359 by Tyler
Glad you replied! I forgot to follow up last week. I had a '15 Fusion with Intelligent Key come through the shop for normal service. I hooked up Forscan beta and found no PATS functions available. 

You're welcome to try anyway, of course. You can also buy a J2534 device and a two day subscription to FJDS ($50) and get it done that way. 

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #64361 by Usafexplorer
The weather here in the Midwest has been horrendous, with the car stuck in the driveway I didn't mess with it until today when it finally warmed up over 30 degrees.

At a loss really, pretty sure its something I messed up just not sure where/how its jacked up. I connected the scanner again and ran the PATS PCM connection, waited the 10 minutes and it came back with failed security access to BCM (or something close to that).

Still have one key fob that will lock/unlock and remote start but do nothing else.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64365 by Noah

. I connected the scanner again and ran the PATS PCM connection, waited the 10 minutes and it came back with failed security access

I don't want to jump in and derail the conversation, but it may be the scan tool. I've had two Fords recently, of which I know I had gained security access before, give me a similar message using my Verus Edge. 
I needed the dusty old, out of date shop Autel.
Like Tyler mentioned, with a pass through device and Ford service subscription, you should have no problem, but that's not exactly a cheap tool if you plan on using it to program one key.
Maybe there's a mobile key programming service, or mobile diagnostics and programming guy you can contact instead of towing it to the dealership if that is out of the question.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64367 by Usafexplorer
Thanks for the reply Noah, I appreciate any input at this point. There is a possibility the scanner is the issue, I also read another post concerning the noise associated with an external charger. I did have a charger connected yesterday during my latest attempt to access the software. I let the charger sit overnight and will try again later today without the charger connected.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65154 by randy.greening
Also make sure your using good quality replacement keys! I have yet to see anything from Amazon program successfully to a Ford.
Using forscan there is a function to test the readability/programmability of each individual key that's inserted. There a post about on the forum somewhere.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds