Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Help with a Caddy and scope

More
5 months 5 days ago #63857 by manelishi
Hi, I'm working on a 2007 escalade with a 6.2 . It came from an auction dude bought sight unseen from carvanna looks like it's been through the auction. Taped up harnesses and parts cannon fired. I been following Danner and have a single channel uscooe and an 8 channel Hantek. I use the uscope more but I'm disabled and not on anyone's time but my own so I can play around with the scope. My question is , is the hantek good enough to prove the timing ? If I capture cam and crank will the image be good enough like u see on the better scopes? It would be the first timing issue I used the scope for. Relative compression I am going to do first. All I did so far is read the codes, I will list them. Any help for a scope newbie with cheap equipment would be greatly appreciated. I have an autel mp808 also, did not even look at live data yet but will before the scope. 
Thing has several issues and be a good challenge. Timing is my just a first hunch based on codes and he replaced the camshaft sensor, plugs wires and crank already so power n grounds of course, good times. Thanks in advance !
p0011 cam sensor performance 
Po523 EOP high 
Po106 map performance 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 5 days ago #63860 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Help with a Caddy and scope
Is the Hantek good enough to prove a mechanical timing problem? Can't say I've used an eight-channel Hantek before, but it'd probably be fine for cam/crank correlation testing. You'd need a known good to compare to, of course.

P0011 does not necessarily indicate that there's a mechanical timing issue. Rather, it indicates that the variable valve timing didn't do what the PCM asked. From SI for P0011:

"The ECM detects the difference between the desired camshaft position angle and the actual camshaft position angle is greater than 8 degrees for 20 s."

You should be able to see the CMP Angle, CMP Desired and Variance on your MP808. Use that data to tell when the VVT is acting up. Does it ever move? Try to move?

Be wary of the P0523, too. Could be a failed EOP sensor. Could be someone found out that oil pressure is low and decided to ship it to the auction. P0011 might be tied into that as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds