Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

wrong O2 sensor in 2005 cobalt

More
7 years 9 months ago #934 by Kmack
Hi Everyone, I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L that had a p0135 code, so I decided to replace the upstream O2 sensor. I did so and cleared the code, but it came back the next day. Problem is, the one I purchased was for a 2.0L engine, which I was able to connect, but the connector, I believe, was reversed so the ground was in the wrong location.
After bringing it to my local Aamco, they said there was a bad wire to the sensor, which was probably the problem to begin with. They repaired the wire and put the correct sensor in, but the light came back on my way home with a p0134 code. At this time, my fear is that by reversing the connector with the first sensor, I damaged the ECM circuit.
Have any of you seen a similar situation? If so, do you think I fried the circuit?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #953 by Tyler
Hey Kmack, welcome to the forums!

There are some easy checks we can do to point us in the right direction, and figure out if the ECM has a problem. For the record, I kinda doubt your ECM got damaged, but we'll find out.

What kind of tooling do you have available? An incandescent test light and a multimeter (with some sewing t-pins) would allow us to do quite a bit of testing.

Let me know what kind of equipment you have, and we can suggest some checks to do. Doing long posts on my phone sucks, so let me get home tonight and we can go further.

To get a quick idea of where we'really going with this, watch this Scannerdanner video:

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmack

More
7 years 9 months ago #961 by Kmack
Tyler, thank you for your response. The shop found that the replacement sensor was bad also, so once they replaced that, all is good with the check engine light. the other issue i brought the car in for was that the traction control/ abs lights are also on, but they cant get to that until next week, but he told me the code was for the right front speed sensor circuit, and the code was P0045. that code doesn't seem to match what i see online, but i wonder if he is just confusing it with another vehicle, it's a busy place. at any rate, do you have any tips on checking a speed sensor circuit beyond the typical multimeter checks for continuity along the harness?
Again, thank you for the response, this forum seems like it is filled with very knowledgible people willing to help if they can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 9 months ago #975 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic wrong O2 sensor in 2005 cobalt
This post reminds me of something I saw at a scan tool seminar put on by the local Snap-On dealers. Some of the later model GMs (well later model to me anyway) require a relearn procedure after replacing heated o2s. They have a memory of how long to run the heater to get the sensor active which is updated as the life of the sensor is diminished. So when you install a new sensor, it still wants to crank out the heater like it still has the old tired sensor in it, and burns the girl up.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmack

More
7 years 9 months ago #1010 by Kmack
That would seem to fit this scenario, where they replaced the sensor but didn't do a re-learn, so during my ride home, the sensor was overloaded. They get the car back and the sensor is obviously bad now, so they replace it and do the re-learn, all good.
Being a technician myself ( not automotive), I understand that things go wrong from time to time, it's just frustrating to be on this side.

• Noah
More
7 years 9 months ago #1015 by Noah
It could just be coincidence, I'd have to check service info to see if your Cobalt uses the same strategy.
Here's a good free video on a GM that may give you some insight toward diagnosing a wheel speed sensor fault on your car.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1024 by andyford
This test talking about bias voltage in a abs sensor, question can i do the same test to any sensor that have bias voltage like for example a 02 sensor ?

More
7 years 9 months ago #1030 by ScannerDanner

andyford wrote: This test talking about bias voltage in a abs sensor, question can i do the same test to any sensor that have bias voltage like for example a 02 sensor ?

yes you can! But not all O2 sensors will have a bias

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyford

More
7 years 9 months ago #1058 by Tyler

Kmack wrote: Tyler, thank you for your response. The shop found that the replacement sensor was bad also, so once they replaced that, all is good with the check engine light. the other issue i brought the car in for was that the traction control/ abs lights are also on, but they cant get to that until next week, but he told me the code was for the right front speed sensor circuit, and the code was P0045. that code doesn't seem to match what i see online, but i wonder if he is just confusing it with another vehicle, it's a busy place. at any rate, do you have any tips on checking a speed sensor circuit beyond the typical multimeter checks for continuity along the harness?
Again, thank you for the response, this forum seems like it is filled with very knowledgible people willing to help if they can.

Yeah, that code doesn't match up, does it? A RF code would be a C0041. He might have meant a C0045, but that'd be for the the left rear sensor circuit.

That video Noah posted is perfect study material. As you mentioned, the harness is always suspect, especially on a GM. Just this week, I saw an Impala with an open sensor ground wire, broken inside the insulation. Using the bias voltage mentioned in that video helped me find that one pretty quickly.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1194 by Kmack
Just an update, I just replaced the front right wheel bearing due to the fact that when i went to check for voltage at the sensor, the wire broke off in my hand with very little movement. So at that point I had no choice, but luckily the ABS and Traction control lights went away immediatley, so I'm pretty confident that is where the problem was.
But, my daughter was driving the car Sunday and said the check engine light came on again, this time the code is a P0171 bank 1 lean code.
I saw a tip online that said it could be from air getting in at the oil dipstick, and I did find that it wasn't seated, so I re-seated it and cleared the code, but it came back after a day and a half.
Question is, should I expect that this code is related to the original O2 problem? if so , I will bring it back to the same shop, if not, I may go someplace else.
Any thoughts?

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago #1198 by Noah
I think that if you've had an overall agreeable experience with this shop, you should go back there and have them diagnose this code for you. It may or may not be an oxygen sensor problem, but these people now have a history and familiarity with the car where as a new mechanic would be starting with a blank slate.
Make sense?

Nice find with the wheel bearing/abs connector by the way. A good visual inspection sometimes is all we need when it comes right down to the nuts and bolts of it.

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds