Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Uscope coil over waveform

More
1 year 2 months ago #60262 by manelishi
Hi guys , had a Toyota with a miss . I have a uscope and a hantek 1008, both cheap scopes and the better hantek coil over paddle but I did not have the hantek paddle with me so I figured I woukd use the much smaller paddle the uscope came with just to see what I could see. Surprised me when I saw the wave forms as clear as they are.
Naturally the first pic is the bad one but my question is what is going on. I didn't pull the plugs yet or switch them. This is all I have into checking the misfire, 10 min tops. I'm curious if I can guess, I am very new and halfway through the premium. To me it looks like the coil is either shorted or the spark is taking a different path of least resistance. The roundness and almost pintle hump look before the spike is why I'm leaning that way. Beings it is before the spike would that mean the short is in the primary? Just guessing and trying to process what I am looking at . Any input would be appreciated, was a beautiful day to catch a wave at any rate . Cheers!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #60263 by juergen.scholl
I don't think the coil is shorted. Actually there is no spark taking place, the coil energy is just drained off. Look for carbon fouling (plug).

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #60267 by manelishi
Replied by manelishi on topic Uscope coil over waveform
Thank you for your reply , this is literally the 2nd cop wave form I have ever captured. It is awesome to see the little scope find a difference without ever touching the engine in any other way than a paddle. A budget paddle to boot as well as a budget scope . I'd still be saving for a picco though so using a cheap one now seems more important thar having a top quality scope I don't know how to actually use when I open the box. Going to pull the plugs today and I'll post back. Thanks again!
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by manelishi.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #60270 by manelishi
Replied by manelishi on topic Uscope coil over waveform
juergen.scholl Dead on, oil soaked
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by manelishi.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds