A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Been "off the grid"

More
6 years 8 months ago #11896 by nick.elias
Hey guys!

Sorry Ive gone off the grid for a while. Ive been working on starting up my own mobile tire, repair and diagnostic shop. Its going to be run out of a 8.5x20x8 foot enclosed trailer. Its been an uphill battle considering funding, legalities, etc. But im finally registered and good to go! Here are some pics of my setup!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11898 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Been "off the grid"
Hey Nick! Damn that trailer looks cool man. Great to have your own mobile diagnostic shop ;) All you need now is a lot of customers.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11900 by nick.elias
Replied by nick.elias on topic Been "off the grid"
ohhhhhhh yeah lol. I think the tires and brake services will lure people in the most going to their house to do them and then if they have any diagnostic issues theyll most likely call me back :) Getting to this point was such a battle but I think it will pay off in the long run

More
6 years 8 months ago #11918 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Been "off the grid"
Nice --- all shiny and neat. :cheer:

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 8 months ago #11919 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Been "off the grid"
I like it! Looking good. B)

Just curious, what kind of laws/regs did you run into on this? Interested in how state/federal laws regard this kind of setup.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11930 by nick.elias
well see for how long lol

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #11932 by nick.elias
hey tyler,

The biggest obstacles were regulations concerning the DMV, EPA, DOT, and local ordinances. The DMV requirements are normal fair like formation of a corporation/llc, tax id/certificate of authority, license. I live in NYS. For a mobile shop they also require where the vehicle will be parked and to do an investigation to make sure it is safe.

The EPA is the bear of regualtions with regulate, unregulated, hazardous waste. Tires and used motor oil are regulated waste. If motor oil is mixed with anything else it is hazardous waste and must be disposed of accordingly. Also I had to research wether or not I needed a permit for transporting use oil and used tires and proper disposal.

Then the DOT. if you have a GCTWR of 10,000lbs or over you require a DOT #. Also they have a whole slew of laws to follow.

And finally local ordinances in my town specify that if I have a commercial trailer with a GVWR over 5,000lbs it cannot be parked in my driveway so I keep it in a commercial storage facility.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by nick.elias.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12055 by Tyler

nick.elias wrote: And finally local ordinances in my town specify that if I have a commercial trailer with a GVWR over 5,000lbs it cannot be parked in my driveway so I keep it in a commercial storage facility.

Wha? :lol: This one seems kinda silly, IMO.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12064 by nick.elias
Agreed!!! Theres tons of landscapers with prolly 10k pounds of gear in their trailers but im not gonna risk it. I carry alot more regulated waste than they do and i have nosy ass neighbors that will call the town on me

More
6 years 8 months ago #12090 by Tyler

nick.elias wrote: Agreed!!! Theres tons of landscapers with prolly 10k pounds of gear in their trailers but im not gonna risk it. I carry alot more regulated waste than they do and i have nosy ass neighbors that will call the town on me

Exactly what I was thinking of! I dunno if my state is different, or landscapers everywhere just don't care. :lol:

• Noah
  • Away
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 8 months ago #12118 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Been "off the grid"
That's a great set up you've got there Nick! I'm kind of jealous ;)
I've always kind of wanted to get an old box truck and set it up similar to that.
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my livelihood is in the driveway waiting to be broken into, so I scrapped that idea for now.
Smart of you to go legit and pursue the proper permits. I probably would have just started fixing cars until I got bagged, lol!

I wish you all the success you can handle!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 8 months ago #12156 by nick.elias
Thanks! Oh I'm just as paranoid and have an alarm with a GPS locator and surveillance cameras on the trailer that are well hidden ;) also got well insured

More
6 years 8 months ago #12157 by nick.elias
The alarm also senses vibration or movement and will notify me via cell phone as well as the cameras. I can get a live video feed

More
6 years 8 months ago #12158 by nick.elias

Tyler wrote:

nick.elias wrote: Agreed!!! Theres tons of landscapers with prolly 10k pounds of gear in their trailers but im not gonna risk it. I carry alot more regulated waste than they do and i have nosy ass neighbors that will call the town on me

Exactly what I was thinking of! I dunno if my state is different, or landscapers everywhere just don't care. :lol:

More like they just don't care lol.

• Noah
  • Away
More
6 years 8 months ago #12223 by Noah
It's kind of funny, we just got a local police Homeland security armored E450 with a 10 cylinder engine, 2500 miles, bullet proof windows and Kevlar door panels.
I could leave my tools in something like that, lol!

• Noah
  • Away
More
6 years 8 months ago #12224 by Noah

Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #12686 by nick.elias
While diagnostics make money, so do mechanical services lol. Got a wheel balancer and a tc3500 in my trailer for doing tires. Put a new set of wheels on a 2013 acura TL. Switched from michelin pilots to goodyear eagle rs-a's
Takes me longer to do tires than a shop but people are happy with my services so far (knock on wood) lol
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #12687 by nick.elias

Noah wrote:

Man wth happened to it?!!! Must be a sleeper

• Noah
  • Away
More
6 years 7 months ago #12747 by Noah
Somebody wasn't paying attention to height clearance at the train station parking garage (which is where auxillary police vehicles are stored) and punched a good hole in the fiberglass shell. So they parked it for 8 years, and junked it, and now I have it at the junk yard.
Honestly, it's overkill. Your truck is much more reasonable to work out of.
The down side of 2 inch thick bullet proof glass is that the windows don't go down...
Like I'm seriously going inside for a Happy Meal...

I like that you have a tire machine in there, good idea. I seriously hope for all the success you can handle!

More
6 years 2 months ago #18150 by Agrauto
Replied by Agrauto on topic Been "off the grid"
Whats up everyone!!! Welp i sadly havent been on here in forever because of ive been so busy but I thought id share whats going on with me. I got rid of my trailer for my mobile business due to it being too much to drive and park around...... and I got a box truck instead!!! 2010 Isuzu NPR-HD. Awesome truck. Less space but i somehow found a way to cram everything in there lol . What do you guys think?

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds