A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Chassis ear/ NVH

• Chriscoy
  • Chriscoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Heavy duty truck technician / foreman/ parts guy/
More
7 years 5 months ago #3863 by Chriscoy
Chassis ear/ NVH was created by Chriscoy
Anybody use a chassis ear or NVH software. My shop desperatly needs something to pick out vibration and growls. Working on big trucks so Pico NVH is out (no support for J1939). I'm looking at a steelmann set up but would like some feed back.

Changing parts is easy, Troubleshooting is an art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3867 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic Chassis ear/ NVH
Got an NVH case study coming up on my Silverado. Had a vibration after lift kit install. I'm going to make it the final part to that series.
Maybe I'll get time to edit that one in the next few weeks.
But it will be with the pico NVH

Don't be a parts changer!

• Chriscoy
More
7 years 5 months ago #3885 by Chriscoy
Replied by Chriscoy on topic Chassis ear/ NVH
Sweet!!! I'd love for my shop to pick up a Pico and NVH software and have been trying to sell the service manager on it. Then he transferred stores. Branch manager was getting on board till I quoted him the price of Picoscope's setup and the fact we would need 1-2 guys only trained on the NVH side of it.

Not having a way to plug into the DLC means grabbing a crank sensor, and VSS pulse to tell the scope engine and vehicle speed. I'm down to get it a hell of a try, but I have not been successful in getting the idea sold.

I've spoke with one of the guys as AES about the incorporation of a J1939 DLC adapter and was told at this time there was no help on big trucks. And there should be. These guys spend 11hrs a day behind the wheel and a vibration or growl will drive these guys batty.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3899 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Chassis ear/ NVH
I tried making an home built setup using cheap guitar pick-up contact microphones but it didn't work the scope didn't pick-up any signal.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 5 months ago #3900 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Chassis ear/ NVH

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I tried making an home built setup using cheap guitar pick-up contact microphones but it didn't work the scope didn't pick-up any signal.

That's cool, I've always wondered if I could make a set up with knock sensors.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3905 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Chassis ear/ NVH

ScannerDanner wrote: Got an NVH case study coming up on my Silverado. Had a vibration after lift kit install. I'm going to make it the final part to that series.
Maybe I'll get time to edit that one in the next few weeks.
But it will be with the pico NVH

Awesome! :woohoo: I've been hearing a lot about this Pico NVH kit on AESwave and iATN, can't wait to see how it goes.

Noah wrote: That's cool, I've always wondered if I could make a set up with knock sensors.

That reminds me, I heard from a class recently about using a knock sensor to detect fuel injector problems... I have no idea if there's any merit to this concept, but I'm willing to try it!
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Tyler.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3912 by Andy.MacFadyen
Ones of my ideas with the clip on acoustic guitar microphone was to clip it round the injector and look at the sound signature but it just didn't work , no signal nothing from the mike. I am now thinking if I added a 5$ pre-amp it might work.

EDIT
I found the guitar mikes this morning and tried again, something must have be wrong with the connection the last time as this time with the mike clipped to the injector body I got lots of signal but making sense of it is a different matter.
There is a visible difference with the injector disconnected but to be useful it would need synched to the ignition or an injector as there is a lot of echoes the other injectors.
Until I try synching it, adding a filter and getting that to work I can't see any advantage over using a stephoscope.

The idea of using a knock sensor might work better as it is designed to work on a narrower band of frequencies.

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3913 by Andy.MacFadyen
Guitar Microphone

Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #3918 by maicsa2
Replied by maicsa2 on topic Chassis ear/ NVH
I'll be getting the NVH 4 axis kit in 3 days, I will post some pics here and a video on youtube! I can't wait to get it! I have already 5 cars waiting to be diagnose with this equipment, PICO is the best! John Kelly in the Weberauto channel in youtube has some very good info of the NVH from PICO and he has develop an app that uses the Iphone accelerometer for vibrations and so on, that is very impressive, a little pricy $400, but for those who can afford the whole Pico set up ( lap top, picoscope, NVh and some J2534), is great!
Pico NVH video

Vibration App video

More
7 years 5 months ago #3923 by Tyler

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Until I try synching it, adding a filter and getting that to work I can't see any advantage over using a stephoscope.

The idea of using a knock sensor might work better as it is designed to work on a narrower band of frequencies.

Awwwww, sorry to hear that didn't work out!

I like the knock sensor idea, too. The only problem is most knock sensors are expensive-ish, at least $50. Not the worst gamble I've ever made, but not cheap, either :( The last two knock sensors I replaced on the job were electrically open, so no luck there.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3924 by Tyler

maicsa2 wrote: I'll be getting the NVH 4 axis kit in 3 days, I will post some pics here and a video on youtube! I can't wait to get it! I have already 5 cars waiting to be diagnose with this equipment, PICO is the best! John Kelly in the Weberauto channel in youtube has some very good info of the NVH from PICO and he has develop an app that uses the Iphone accelerometer for vibrations and so on, that is very impressive, a little pricy $400, but for those who can afford the whole Pico set up ( lap top, picoscope, NVh and some J2534), is great!
Pico NVH video

Please let us know what you think of the Pico kit!

I would love to play with that NVH app, too, but no Android support :-( Still, amazing use of a iPhone for diagnostics.

• Noah
More
7 years 5 months ago #3925 by Noah

Tyler wrote:

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Until I try synching it, adding a filter and getting that to work I can't see any advantage over using a stephoscope.

Awwwww, sorry to hear that didn't work out!

I like the knock sensor idea, too. The only problem is most knock sensors are expensive-ish, at least $50. Not the worst gamble I've ever made, but not cheap, either :( The last two knock sensors I replaced on the job were electrically open, so no luck there.

oh yeah, you actually have to pay for car parts! :whistle:

• Chriscoy
More
7 years 4 months ago #4101 by Chriscoy
Replied by Chriscoy on topic Chassis ear/ NVH
You guys are awesome. I never expected this post to branch off like this. But since it did... Me being a curious guy and such, I was poking around the Adafruit site and found a small accelerometer that I'm tempted to buy and hack into a cheap low tech Vibration detector.

I'm no electronic guru by any means but my little brother is! Christmas is coming so... why not.

More
7 years 4 months ago #4106 by Richey.brown
Replied by Richey.brown on topic Chassis ear/ NVH
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi I have made quite a successful noise/vibration sensor if clipped on the engine it will actually pick up the each power stroke. I know this because if you use the pico to monitor it and use the cursor RPM function it matches the rev counter perfectly. Here is the link, Look at this on eBay

More
7 years 4 months ago #4107 by Richey.brown
It won't let me post the ebay link?

More
7 years 4 months ago #4108 by Richey.brown
Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #4109 by Richey.brown
For best results attach it to a crocodile clip permanently then clip it to a long screwdriver and move the tip of the screwdriver around to the areas where you think the problem is e.g alternator, power steering pump etc

• Noah
More
7 years 4 months ago #4114 by Noah
Wow, cool stuff Richey, thank you.
With it attached to a screw driver, is it good to id a noisy pulley, or is it to sensitive for something like that?

More
7 years 4 months ago #4123 by Tyler

Chriscoy wrote: You guys are awesome. I never expected this post to branch off like this. But since it did... Me being a curious guy and such, I was poking around the Adafruit site and found a small accelerometer that I'm tempted to buy and hack into a cheap low tech Vibration detector.

I'm no electronic guru by any means but my little brother is! Christmas is coming so... why not.

Oh yeah, sorry man :blush: Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

More
7 years 4 months ago #4124 by Richey.brown
I have only used it to identify a noisy pulley once and it seemed to work fine the only problem is the customer didn't have the money to pay for the job.So I never did the before and after process to see the end results but you will definitely be surprised on how accurate the little sensor is. This video is where I got the idea from

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds