A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

want to get scan tool, unsure of which one to get or find used

More
6 years 6 months ago #14423 by M0SSMEN1
hi all, i am a tech at the local toyota dealer but i work on the used cars (mostly subarus, hondas, a few toyotas, some asian and gm cars, every once in awhile europeans) so ive been watching the scannerdanner youtube free channel and have gone through the premium class and im right now at a point of "i want a scan tool with an oscilloscope function" and after seeing the verus in action, i was curious if anyone had any ideas or opinions of the scan tools out there, from what ive seen i wanted something with the "guided component tests" and the "scope multimeter" and a scanner function on it too, ive gone through the scanners briefly and come up with this list.
my question is there anyone out there that prefers one over the other or really reccomends i get something with another feature? im a young tech(not to gloat but i am a master ase so i feel like just about anything could come my way) and im hoping to get some use out of this scanner for a long time to come

www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/compareco...2|94586|63869|49909#

thanks again for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14434 by M0SSMEN1
so i talked to the snap on guy (usually the day he comes in is today) and i found out another guy in the shop was selling his verus pro for 3.5k, it doenst have a low amp probe but it sounds like i can get that from snap on(can i get the otc low amp probe i saw online to work with the verus?) but it does have the wireless scanner and the 4 test leads(hes bringing it in tomorrow so i can look it over) curious if this is a good deal or if there is something i should look out for, i trust the guy that is selling me his verus and i trust his opinion as a mechanic, curious about any "updates" and hardware versions, or "key" things i should know about(this will be my first scan tool purchase ever), probably gonna get it tho, looking to hear from others, thanks again!

More
6 years 6 months ago #14456 by M0SSMEN1
think i might delete or ask to delete this thread, guy didnt bring it in today but he says he will bring it in monday and the snapon guy will be at the next dealer over then and we can get it all squared away, still curious of anything people reccomend or say to watchout for, the vehicle year goes up to 2014, should i get an update for it now or in a few months(is that when the 2019 year vehicles will be added? thats why i ask), have a good one guys!

More
6 years 6 months ago #14475 by bruce.oliver
Check on how far you can update the verus pro. Some of the older verus models can't be updated past a certain point. If it's updated to 14.2 or 14.4 then it will scan a 2013. 2014 model year would have been added in the 15.2 update.

I personally don't care for the verus pro, it's a little slow compared to the solus or verus edge. $3500 may be a little high but you can put your hands on it and make sure it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: M0SSMEN1

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14485 by M0SSMEN1
what would you try for it? its the scan tool and the basic stuff it comes with from what i know, i have seen it on craigslist and ebay for $2k but i was just unsure of the condition and i just dont have that kind of $$$ on hand but it sounds like the snap on guy is trying to help by getting me an account through them(i was approved for a lot more than what hes asking for the verus) so i can afford it

i will be honest(call me impatient) i was thinking of deleting this thread or asking it to get deleted since i was the only one posting and reposting on here, i really appreciate hearing your opinion tho man:)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by M0SSMEN1.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14490 by Tyler
I think you'd be fine with the Verus Pro. The last shop I worked for had one, and always treated me well. TONS of features. B) I'm honestly not sure about the price, but it seems reasonable to me compared to a new Modis Edge or the like. Plus, being PC based means you can make use of overlay software for in-cylinder and pressure pulse waveforms. There's also info out there for upgrading the internals, if that's your cup o' tea.

The biggest problem I had was the wireless scan module. It gives you all kinds of freedom, sure, but it also eats time when connecting to a vehicle. The connection process between the module and the Verus is lengthy (compared to a cable connection), and sometimes doesn't work at all, forcing you to restart the software. :angry: This may have been unique to the Verus I was using, so consider trying it on a couple different cars before pulling the trigger.

Bruce is right about updates, too. Check to see if it's still supported, or when they plan to stop. Updates are usually $1K per year to get the latest/greatest. Keep this in mind when considering the cars you'll be working on. ;-)

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago #14522 by Noah
The Verus is great, I've only ever had the oldest model, but man, what a tool!
Sorry you weren't getting replies right away....
Any amp clamp with banana jacks will work on it, the scales may not be same as the presets in the tool, but a little math will keep you on track.

3k sounds fair considering it's a newer platform and you can make payments on the truck as opposed to buying one outright from the pawn shop or ebay.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 6 months ago #14535 by cheryl hartkorn
he can get it through paypal. he wouldnt have to buy it outright.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14536 by M0SSMEN1
yeah, i didnt mean to sound like a drama queen or mean, since i didnt see much response from the community(not saying you guys suck or are mean or anything, i love you guys and the wideband o2 sensor stuff i saw was SUPER helpful on a comeback and being able to see where i went wrong with replacing the wrong sensor) i just didnt feel like this thread was really adding much to it and i didnt want a thread where i was the only guy talking(made me feel like a drama queen and i didnt want to be percieved that way, i also really want to help contribute to the forum) thanks again for all of the input guys! i really appreciate it!!

Question! if i get the latest update, will i have to get the previous updates to get up to the latest update? or could i get the latest update and be good?

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14537 by bruce.oliver
Snapon puts out 2 updates per year. If you skip one or more updates they charge you more but you get all the info from the previous updates that were skipped. Not sure how much very updates are, let's say they are $1000 but if you skip a couple they charge you $1250. Not exact numbers but you get the idea. And you can only have access to sure track if you have the current update
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by bruce.oliver.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14539 by M0SSMEN1
ok i see.. acutally i had another question, is suretrack worth it? has it helped you guys a lot?

More
6 years 6 months ago #14546 by Tyler

M0SSMEN1 wrote: ok i see.. acutally i had another question, is suretrack worth it? has it helped you guys a lot?

No on both counts. :lol: I used for a couple years when I got updates, but it rarely made a difference in my diagnosis or repair. Now I just leave the WiFi off and save battery power.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14548 by M0SSMEN1

More
6 years 6 months ago #14598 by rmcw1873
Hi we have a verus edge at work and I think it's a brilliant tool to use,it's mostly the same as the pro so I'd be happy going for it, just another thought I have an autel 908 and find it a great scanner as well,You could probably pick one of those up very reasonable priced and then go for a Pico for scoping.although I've never used a Pico they seem to be the boss when it comes to scopes,it could also save you money on updates.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14611 by Tyler

rmcw1873 wrote: just another thought I have an autel 908 and find it a great scanner as well,You could probably pick one of those up very reasonable priced and then go for a Pico for scoping.although I've never used a Pico they seem to be the boss when it comes to scopes,it could also save you money on updates.

Agreed, the Autel has definitely saved my bacon more than once, mostly by filling in the gaps Snappy misses. :blink: Just today, chasing secondary air injection codes on a Cadillac. Snap-On shows the pressure sensor PIDs, but they're completely dead. Swap in the Autel, and it has no trouble showing me the data I need. B)

Got my eye on the new Elite over at AESwave .

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14616 by Noah
Is there a "good-better-best" hierarchy with the Autel tools?
I've really only used Snap-On, and the Mac MDT10, (not a fan of the latter), and could use something to fill in the gaps.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Noah.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14627 by juergen.scholl
With regards to scan tool abilities i do not see differences between 905, 906, maxisys,minisys etc.

The differences come down to personal preferences like screen size, wireles etc.

The maxisys 908P is adifferent animal as it includes the J2534 programming capabilities.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds